The Municipal Theatre is attached to the Kurhaus and represents, also from a visual point of view, an enrichment for Merano.
The Municipal Theatre has been constructed in 1900 within 14 months only. On December 1, 1900, it has been officially inaugurated and taken into operation. Classical elements and some Art Nouveau decorations characterise the building. The halls in the interior are mainly constructed in liberty style and provide a particularly attractive venue for concerts, theatres and other events. Martin Dülfer, an architect from Munich, is responsible for the design of this building.
In the beginnings the theatre boasted an own ensemble offering up to 250 performances per year as well as high quality concerts. At the outbreak of WW1, the ensemble was dismissed and only actors and musicians from outside were engaged. In these days the Municipal Theatre has been named after the composer Giacomo Puccini. The performances took part in Italian or German language. As money for renovations was lacking and WWII was approaching, the Municipal Theatre of Merano has temporarily been transformed into a cinema.
Around 1950 the "Südtiroler Landesbühne" (local theatre association) performed on the stage of the spa town, later only guest performances were carried out. At the end of the '60s a fire broke out and the hope for the successful continuation of the Municipal Theatre vanished. Up to the '70s, the theatre remained closed due to the lack of money. In November 1978 the renovated City Theatre of Merano has been reopened. Today local theatre associations and actors from abroad perform on this stage. In 2000 the roof of the building was renewed and the façade has been repainted in the original bright colours.
The Municipal Theatre of Merano is administered by the Tourist Authority Kurverwaltung, the Province of Bolzano and the municipality of Merano.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
depends on the event