Avelengo di Sopra is the only centred village, as Avelengo is in general typified by scattered settlements.
Avelengo di Sopra is located at an altitude of 1,300 m and belongs to the municipality of Avelengo. Generally Avelengo is composed of scattered settlements, while Avelengo di Sopra is the only closed locality that belongs to the municipality.
However, it was established after the road to Merano was completed, which substituted a stone-paved way that connected the village to Merano until 1923. Also food and other goods were transported on this road.