A particular attraction of Santa Caterina is its Romanesque church, considered the symbol of Avelengo.
Santa Caterina belongs to the municipality of Avelengo and is not even inhabited by 50 people, which implies and idyllic holiday destination. Particularly worth highlighting in this village is the small but mighty Santa Caterina church, which is probably the most photographed attraction of this area. Boasting a Gothic apse dating back to the 13th century, well-preserved frescos of the 14th as well as a late-Gothic winged altar, this sacred building can also be visited on request in a guided tour. By the way: only a stone’s throw from the church you come across a wayside shrine of the 15th century.
Up to the year 1923, Santa Caterina has been connected to the city of Merano by an exhausting stone-paved way only. The overhead railway connecting Merano Maia Alta to the Santa Caterina church withdrew the service after new road to Merano had been inaugurated.
Recommendable to those who love hiking is the circular walk from S. Caterina to the Sulfner pond, further on to the Paese di Sopra, and back to Santa Caterina. Ideal for a walk is also the Alta Via di Avelengo, stretching above the valley basin.