The 600-people village of Quarazze, part of the municipality of Merano, was built on a cone of rubble
Image gallery: Quarazze
- Map See map
- 06/04/2023 +15° +24° Weekly weather forecast
video : The St. Peter Parish Church in Quarazze
Until 1923 Quarazze has been an independent municipality, after it has been merged into the city of Merano. Today Quarazze has got some 600 inhabitants and belongs to the parish of S. Pietro - Quarazze. Originally Quarazze was characterised by meadows, later wine and especially apples were also cultivated.
According to a legend, also in the area of Quarazze, there was a "Little Catinaccio", not to be confused with the Catinaccio in the Sciliar area. King Laurin, Lord of the Dolomites, let a road build across this area, bearing his name. However, the parish church of Quarazze dates back to the 14th century and it was reconstructed in its present form in the 17th century. Life in the village today is animated by several associations.