The neo-Gothic mausoleum was built as the burial place for the family of Archduke Johann of Austria.
Image gallery: Mausoleum at Scena
- Map See map
video : A day in Scena
video : Scena as seen from above
video : Scena
At the west end of the church hill in Scena, an artificial terrace has been established and one of the oldest and greatest sacred buildings in neo-Gothic style has been constructed: the Scena mausoleum. The mausoleum and the Thurnerhof farm belong to the property of Scena Castle.
The sacred building was established between 1860 and 1869 by the Viennese architect Prof. Moritz Wappler as gravesite for the family of Archduke John of Austria (Erzherzog Johann, in German). 10 years after his death in Graz, in 1869, Archduke John, who already bought and restored Scena Castle and was a deep admirer of Tyrol, was brought to Scena and buried in the mausoleum.
The construction is made of sandstone and granite from Monte Ivigna, a striking summit high above Scena. The crypt is sheltered by a massive ribbed vault. This is where the marmoreal sarcophagus of Archduke John of Austria and his wife Anna Plochl, Countess of Merano, stands. By the way, this is also where their son Franz, Count of Merano, and his spouse Teresa, Countess di Lamberg, rest in peace.
- Via Alla Chiesa / Kirchweg - 39017 - Scena / Schenna
- +39 0473 945630
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 5.00 adults
€ 5.00 children and young people (10-18 years)
free for children under 10 years
The Archduke John Mausoleum is accessible only during a guided tour: from April on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9.30 am or Tuesdays during the historical village walk (phone: +39 0473 945669).
Guided tours for groups of 20 and more persons also outside the opening hours (on request).