Mayenburg Castle is located on a long hill close to Foiana in the surroundings of Lana.
Image gallery: Mayenburg Castle
The castle embellishes the low mountain range of Tesimo and is considered a prehistoric fortification. That’s what is assumed by scientists, as the position is really strategic. Moreover it is considered to be part of the fortification system of the Counts von Eppan (Appiano). The castle has been mentioned for the first time in 1229 as Castrum Mayberch, the donjon dates back to the beginning of the 13th century. When the Counts von Eppan became extincted in 1253, the castle complex passed on to the Counts of Tyrol.
The castle kept changing hands until 1600, when the Brandis family assumed responsibility for the castle for a longer period of time. In 1650 the building was considerably enlarged. In the 19th century Mayenburg Castle was in a ruinous state. When in the Twenties Dr. med. Josef Auffinger from Merano purchased the building, he had it modestly renovated. Today Mayenburg Castle is in possession of the Auffinger family.
Mayenburg Castle was a branch of the court of Merano. Outdoors they dispensed justice over those, who were not punished with death. Parts of the circular wall with crenels surround the grand hall and further residential buildings. In the chapel there are wall paintings dating back to the 15th and 16th century. Moreover there is a round tower serving as dovecot and protection for the castle fountain. Mayenburg Castle can be accessed via a road branching off at Foiana, but can’t be visited.