Braunsberg Castle, the emblem of Lana, is located high above the Gaul Canyon.
Image gallery: Braunsberg Castle
- Map See map
Braunsberg Castle, surrounded by cypresses, is located at the edge of the deep Gaul Canyon. Below the castle you can still recognize the old path from Lana to Val d'Ultimo, with pavers and paving stones.
In the 13th century this modest castle was owned by Ulrich von Braunsberg and became the seat of the Counts von Braunsberg. In the 14th century the Mareider of Appiano took over this complex. Around 1492 Braunsberg Castle passed on the the Counts Trapp. Today, however, it's owned by the Counts of Strachwitz and cannot be visited. The circular wall is coronated with pinnacles, inside there is a little patio, a great hall and beside a chapel there are annexed towers. In 1510 one part of the castle is considered to be collapsed into the deep Gaulschlucht gorge.
At the front wall of the chapel there are the emblems of Austria, Tyrol and the Counts Trapp as well as several other frescos. The altar in the chapel has been established in 1660. The paintings on this altar show the Saints Blasius, Valentin and Erasmus. Metal eagles and the Trapp emblem decorate the chairs in this room. Moreover there are precious relics such as a silver chalice dating back to the 13th century.
Current COVID 19 rules:… read more
not accessible to the public