Kallmünz Castle, a typical Tyrolean mansion, is located at the heart of Merano
Near to Piazza della Rena at the heart of Merano you might see some loving battlements rising to the skies: Kallmünz Castle. Its strong basement walls suggest that in the 14th century it also served military purposes. The castle got its name from Andrä Kalmüntzer from Kallmünz (Upper Palatinate) - he purchased the building in the 15th century. However, Kallmünz Castle's modern shape probably dates back to 1631 when Andreas von Heidenreich-Pidenegg had the castle restored. Up to the 20th century the family von Stachlburg owned the castle, and still today it is owned by an aristocratic family.
With its lovely bow, the monumental residential house and the stair tower, Kallmünz Castle is a typical Tyrolean mansion. The building might be divided into four parts, a inner courtyard and a park, and is surrounded by a partly battlemented wall.
Even though the castle is closed for the public, it houses a number of exhibitions several times of the year. It also hosts a restaurant. The park of Kallmünz Castle, moreover, serves as an idyllic background for plays and other summer performances such as the popular Kallmünz Festival Merano.
- Piazza Della Rena / Sandplatz 12 - 39012 - Merano / Meran
- +39 335 6481702
accessible only for guests of the house