The position of Leone Castle, at the road to Passo Palade, attached great military importance to this castle
Image gallery: Leone Castle
Castel Leone (Leonburg in German) at Lana dates back to the time around 1200. In 1275 Meinhard II raided the castle. Before the second raid could take place, the owner, the Counts of Brandis, voluntarily passed on the key to the conqueror. In 1295 the castle passed into the hands of the Counts of Gorizia-Tyrol.
Like many other castles, also Leone Castle was destroyed by a huge fire in the middle of the 13th century and in the years to follow it has been reconstructed. In the time between 1461 to 1463 the Counts of Brandis purchased the castle and still own it today. For this reason the structure has roughly been preserved in its original state.
Castel Leone provides an insight into the Mediaeval architecture of defensive castles. Maybe for this reason the castle has been named "Leone" (lion). Another explanation is the origin of the old village name of Lana (Lenon - Lana Castle).
not open to the public