Sant’Erasmo Castle above Prissiano glances down on Val d’Adige from its enthroned position
Image gallery: Sant’Erasmo Castle
- Map See map
video : Touring through the apple blossom
Castel Sant’Erasmo is an imposing construction, located at the top of a hill. Two quadrangular residential towers characterise the building, one of them served for defending the castle. Round-arched windows, wide staircases, frescos and other decorative elements make this castle a real treasure. The chapel has been established in detached position right behind the entrance of Sant’Erasmo Castle. It dates back to the 15th century. In the 17th century it has been changed and a great wonderful fresco was added.
Already in 1229 Sant’Erasmo Castle (Wehrburg in German) has been mentioned for the first time. Back then the castle was in possession of the Counts von Wehrburg-Andrian. In 1411 the Morandin family succeeded in getting the castle back. This family became extinct in 1798 and the castle increasingly deteriorated. Around 1900 finally a count from Hungary purchased the estate and restored Sant’Erasmo Castle.
After WWI the Englishman Artur Rudston Brown acquired the castle and sold it to an inhabitant of Prissiano at the end of the 20th century, the owner of the “Zum Mohren” inn. He changed the castle into a hotel. For this reason only the courtyard of Castel Sant’Erasmo is open to public.
- Prissiano / Prissian 7 - 39010 - Tesimo/Prissiano / Tisens/Prissian
- +39 0473 920934
accessible only for guests of the house