Castel Bavaro is located in the west of Nalles high above the Sirmiano river canyon
Bavaro Castle (Payrsberg or Payersberg in German) was established in the 13th century by the Counts von Payr. They were were ministerialis of the Counts of Eppan (Appiano). Visible from afar is the donjon from the 13th century which has once been inhabited. It features a four metre wide semicircular window in the upper floor. Part of the structure is also the hunting tower in Sirmiano di Sopra which was used during the hunting season and in summertime.
Barbicans and turrets have only been added in the 16th century - barbicans served as fortification of the castle on the rocks. One of the four sides of the castle is not precipitous, for this reason this side has been intensely used to fortify the construction. Some decades later a fire destroyed the castle. When the owners moved to the newly built Schwanburg Castle in Nalles the definitive deterioration of the castle started. Bavaro Castle remained in possession of the masters of Boymundt-Payrsberg until the House of the Earls of Payrsberg died out at the end of the 18th century.
The donjon and the detached late Gothic castle chapel protect and decorate the castle complex still today. Also the emblem of the Payrsberg family with the year 1560 is still visible above the entrance. The original castle structure is rather ruinous, while the elements dating back to the 16th century are quite well preserved. The Malpaga family uses the building as residence, as well as a workplace for the adjacent farmhouse. You can reach Bavaro Castle from Nalles by foot in approximate one hour (signpost n° 9).
not accessible to the public